1742 Percy Street, Castleton (mill)

(mid 1800s)
Roll No. 1411-011-050-02300 (with house) – Cramahe Township Ontario

Mid 1800s Mill

The earliest mention of Castleton (then Piper’s Corners) is that Joseph Abbott Keeler (1788-1855), the founder of Colborne and son of the original settler of the township, built a mill there around 1806. In that year, Joseph A. would have been 18 – young to be in the building business, but just one example of his ingenuity and pioneer spirit. (he also founded the village of Norwood).

At first the settlement was known as Piper’s Corners, given its location on Piper’s Creek, subsequently it was changed to Centreville and later, it was revised to the British sounding name Castleton, perhaps reflecting the settlers’ United Empire Loyalist roots.

That early mill was built in the vicinity of the present Purdy’s Mill and the settlement grew up around it. The 20 or so millstones in Purdy’s Mill were imported from France and in use until 1906 when they were replaced by a metal grinder. The Purdy family bought the mill in 1875 and it was in their hands until 1948.

Today, the Mill is much in need of a facelift, in fact it is currently not safe but there is a plan to restore and revitalize, with the help of sponsors, supporters and the community and to transform it to a public space for music and other events.

History or Associative Value

The earliest mention of Castleton is that Joseph A. Keeler (1788-1855), the founder of Colborne and son of the original settler of the township, built a mill there around 1806. In that year, Joseph A. would have been 18 – young to be in the building business, but just one example of his ingenuity and pioneer spirit. (he also founded the village of Norwood). At first the settlement was known as Piper’s Corners, given its location on Piper’s Creek, then Centreville and later the British sounding name Castleton was adopted.

My location
Get Directions

heritage-cramahe-1

Cramahe Township Logo