13512 County Road 2, Colborne
Roll No. 1411-011-020-198000 – Cramahe Township Ontario
Italianate Vernacular – Designated
This two story, brick veneer house is built in the Italianate style popular in the mid to late 19th century. Italianate architecture (1860 to 1890) is reminiscent of the architecture of the Tuscan country villas.
The modest houses of early settlers were replaced by large, often highly decorated houses to coincide with society’s growing affluence.
Cedarwood, built in 1876, is sited to provide a panoramic view of Lake Ontario, on the North side of the old Kingston–York road (Ontario Hwy2). The front facade of the first story has two symmetrical 2 over 2 pane 3 bay windows. There are 20 Italianate brackets decorating the eves.
There is photographic evidence of an arcade style porch, with hanging finials, on the East elevation of the house, but it was missing until it was restored in the early 1990s with
the help of a grant and support of the local LACAC Committee.
The main entrance of the house is on the East side through the above noted porch. A second entrance from the kitchen also leads out onto the porch. The kitchen entrance door consists of two gothic, glass top panels; two centre glass panels and two lower wood panels. The main entrance door has two small top wood panels; two larger bottom wood panels and a centre glass panel, it retains its original hardware and crank bell. The house retains its original sash and storm windows.
The back part of the house is covered by a board and batten tail section (not designated).
The roof has asphalt shingles and the original is suspected to have been either metal or wood shingles.
There is an original board and batten one and three quarter story carriage house/barn to the rear/east.
Cedarwood Farm, on the York- Kingston Highway, boasts a 160 year old apple tree, thought to be the oldest in Canada, still producing. This speaks to the genesis of the apple industry that defines Cramahe.
History or Associative Value
Henry Frient (1770-1850) was the first owner of the land where Cedarwood Farm stands today. The Crown granted all of Concession 2 to Frient in 1809 and from the 1797 census one can infer he was among the earliest settlers of Cramahe. Indications are this house was built in two stages with the board and batten rear portion the oldest (C.1842) It had a “keeping room” with a loft up a primitive staircase, and a narrow landing which led to a small bedroom above the kitchen. The brick front section came later (1876).